Albert Monroe Bodwell (1873-1942)
Son of: Franklin 1844
In the spring of 1909, Albert moved to the neighborhood of Monroe, South Dakota along with a number of other founding fathers of the town. Albert and Estelle were instrumental in establishing the Lakeview Methodist Church, the first Protestant church in Tripp County. The church began in their home in July 1909, with six members and three probationers. In October 1909, the Methodist district sent a tent to be used for meetings. Twenty members were added and plans were developed for building a sod church. Song books were purchased with money received from the sale of three live rattlesnakes for five dollars. Albert caught the snakes. The tent served as a meeting place until a 20 by 34 foot sod church was built and dedicated in August 1911.
Children of Albert and Estelle (Elliott) Bodwell
Information from Abert Benjamin via Dick Bodwell, Chagrin Falls, Oh.
Copyright (C) 1996, 1997 Donald J. Bodwell. All rights reserved